Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Books Journalists Should Read, Maybe Not

Legally Dead by Edna Buchanan

This book is another one of the books recommended by the College Media Advisers listserv members as it falls under the category any book by Edna Buchanan.


I must admit that I was a huge fan of Edna Buchanan the crime reporter. I've used parts of her stories in my classes as examples of thorough reporting. I've used her philosophy as what makes a great journalist, but I don't think I'd use her crime novels as an example of either one of those things or as an example of a great crime novel.

In particular, Legally Dead has an interesting premise and some good writing, but it seems to have an ending that doesn't really fit with the intricate plot line. There's a great buildup of tension then a very unlikely bad guy with an even more fantastical reason as to why the bad guy is doing what he's doing. I just don't buy it.

None of that means that my opinion has changed about Edna Buchanan the journalist. She's one of the best and likely the best crime reporter. Some journalists are just better with the literal, and in the case, I would say Legally Dead could benefit from a dose of reality.

See also The Corpse Had a Familiar Face, Never Let Them See You Cry and Nobody Lives Forever also by Edna Buchanan.

Look for an upcoming review of The Corpse Had a Familiar Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment