Thursday, March 1, 2012

Books Journalists Should Read, Yes Indeed

The Corpse Had a Familiar Face by Edna Buchanan

Another one of the books recommended by the CMA listserv members as it falls under the category any book by Edna Buchanan.

Again, a reminder, I’m an Edna Buchanan fan. I've used parts of her stories in my classes as examples of thorough reporting. I've used her philosophy as what makes a great journalist, and I’ve read this book before.

With all of that said, I was again floored by Buchanan’s thorough review of her crime reporting. This book is a page-turner with lots of great examples and pithy one-liners. That’s what I really enjoy about Buchanan’s journalism—the thoroughly distilled yet crisp writing that makes you think: “Where did she ever come up with that line?”

Some examples:
When referring to the an editor's insistence that Buchanan report only 'major murders':
"Every murder is major to the victim."
Why she gets the urge to empty out her purse, glove box and dresser periodically:
"It is not because I am basically neat--I am not--but I am reminded from time to time that if I am hit by a bus or gunned down by some irate reader, the cops will routinely inventory the contents of my handbag. I don't want them to find the aging granola bar at the bottom..."

Of course there are others, but I don't want to ruin the entire book for you.

I must say, however, I was a bit distressed by a few comments regarding gays and lesbians. While Buchanan’s sympathetic mantra for families seems to be genuine, her view of gays and lesbians seems to be a bit dated and stereotypical. While Buchanan was a practicing journalist during less enlightened times, she was a practicing journalist in Miami, a veritable haven of homosexuality. I expected more.

While this book is clever and readable, I would never recommend it as a textbook. I know some universities have used it as a text; however, it doesn’t really give you the practical tips needed to use as a text.

It is a great read and a great example of how one reporter, probably the best at what she did, actually did her job. For that, I’d say The Corpse Had a Familiar Face is a must-read journalism book. So go out and read it my journalism friends. You won’t be disappointed.

See also Never Let Them See You Cry, the second installment of Edna Buchanan’s reporting books, and see my previous review on Legally Dead, also by Edna Buchanan.

No comments:

Post a Comment